Friday, November 6, 2009

Part-Time Job

I'm wondering if I'm crazy for having taken on a part-time job - like I'm not busy enough! A few weeks ago I saw a posting on MBA WebZone for a research assistant for a professor in the International Business department. It's 10 hours a week scheduled at my convenience and - here's the key part - it pays! It will help defray some of my huge living expenses. Most importantly, it'll help me build a relationship with the international business department. I got in touch with the professor and met her today. It was all very informal and I don't think anyone else expressed interest (maybe I'm the only glutton for punishment??). She said it's mine if I wanted it. I took it.

This type of campus job is familiar territory for me - in fact, it takes me back to being an undergrad, when I worked for a number of professors at MUN. I'll be helping her with some emerging markets research, but I'll also help with planning international business events. This would probably involve outreach to speakers from the corporate/international development world, which is certainly a plus on the networking side.

Me being all academic brings me to another point... now that I'm actually doing my MBA, part of me is thinking, "Hey, after this, what's to stop me from doing my PhD?" I'd be just one degree away! When I was small, I used to say that I was going to get my doctorate. But things changed in b-school when I opted for the corporate route. But obviously business professors have PhDs.... and they are sometimes "real-world" practitioners as well. Anyway... something else to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment